Saturday, October 18, 2008

Ok then..

So lets have some encouragement here. i know people are reading this because they tell me when i get the rqre chqnce to talk to them. how about some comments? questions? words of encouragement? Adjusting to a new life can be stressful, yaknow. this week I spent in Pout and the honeymoon stage of "sleeping in a sauna is cool" "the lack of privacy makes me feel loved," and "who needs a desk to study, a table to eat off of, and a toilet to sit on," and "yay for cockroaches running out of my clean clothes pile and medicine box" is running out. Im feeling a bit of stress from my life here and the one at home. Sooooooo hit me up!
Ok i still like it here. i am super excited to actually get settled into my own place and my own village and start living. i would love nothing more right now than to unpack my suitcase. Oh, and i would LOVE a chocolate covered strawberry wafflebowl sundae from DQ. i think I mention it once a day. And breakfast at the Blue Sky Cafe... AAHH! i forgot what its like to have a kitchen table, a desk to study on, a toilet to sit on, and oh, clothes that go on a body that is clean; and not so sticky.
i am excited to have my own hole in the ground and my own hut! i have never really had my own place. That is still a few weeks away though.
Hey, anyone want my address in Kedougou? any sort of food thing the doesnt spoil or melt will be amazing. other things would be nice too. i dont have a list on me. hmmm. be creative. anyway my address is
Sheila McAtee PCV
BP 37
Kedougou, Senegal

easy, no?
thats all for now. nothing really new except for.... lots of language and agroforestry learning. Oh and I have an African cookie run here. hydriginated oils have not left my life; they have become my therapy. yay for Biscreme and Tutki! and nescafe and chocolate with powdered milk in the morning. mmmmmmm.

ok, bye bye

if you made it to the end of this that means maybe you want to see some pics. i have a few... they took forever to get here. here is the link
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2040624&l=456bc&id=72202129
enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

shelia! i had no idea you were in senegal. but thanks to the magic of the facebook mini feed, i found out what you are up to. havent really talked to you since we left france but just wanted to give you some LOVE to help you get through your adjustment! your honesty is great...no need to paint a rosy picture. i remember when right after i got settled in france, i started to get homesick for my american life. what i wouldnt have given to have a public restroom...and all my family back at home kept asking "how are you liking it? are you having a great time?" and i couldnt bring myself to tell them how much i was hating it, so i would lie and say everything was amazing.

of course things got better though! just as they will with you in senegal.

just think how much this experience will mean to you once you get home. you certaintly will never be the same. sometimes you need to lose the simplest amenities (aka...a toilet) to really appreciate what you have!

best wishes shelia!

<3 rebecca rolfe

Justin Deneke said...

Hello Sheila! It sounds like your Africa experience is turning out pretty well so far. I wish you luck for the rest of your stay. AS for words of encouragement, at least you're not at UPS right now, they may have flush toilets and running water, but it all goes downhill after that! Just remember how amazing the experience actually is, and that you will be able to arry it with you for the rest of your life. You are living a life many people can only dream of, and the reality may not be as romantic as the ideal, but you are living it. That is not a small thing. Stay positive, two years goes by a lot faster than it seems. You are truly a citizen of the world. I hope you are enjoying the books and I look forward to more hiking trips in the Rocky Mountains.

Unknown said...

Sheila,
I'm always so happy when I check your blog and there's a new entry. It's so refreshing to read about something meaningful in these blase times. Thank goodness it's almost time to elect a new president. What are politics like out there? I would imagine things of that nature are very complicated. Any special requests (besides finding a way to send you a Superbird and a waffle cone sundae)?
Buena suerte, bon chance, and good luck to you my friend

Amanda said...

Bean!

I found your blog through the magic that is Facebook. I can't believe you are in Africa! Sounds like you are doing well, though I am sure it can be frustrating at times. I hope to hear more from you, it is amazing that you are in Africa.

Hearts,
Bean

Website Master said...

HI, Sheila,

I used to work with your mother at the BLM. You must be an amazing person to just pick up and go like this. I worked with several people who were in Africa with the Peace Corps and the experience obviously changed them and their lives in a meaningful way. I think they were nicer and more tolerant than the average person.

Most everyone gets homesick when they leave home. The odd thing is that when you do go back home, you will miss Senegal!

I am so proud of you for taking the chance and helping improve the lives of others. Hang in there!

Wendy Bullock